I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Review: Doctor Who: Nothing O'Clock

Posted by Charlene // Tags: , , ,
Doctor Who: Nothing O'Clock
(Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-shorts #11)
by Neil Gaiman

Plot Summary:

Thousands of years ago, Time Lords built a Prison for the Kin. They made it utterly impregnable and unreachable. As long as Time Lords existed, the Kin would be trapped forever and the universe would be safe. They had planned for everything… everything, that is, other than the Time War and the fall of Gallifrey. Now the Kin are free again and there’s only one Time Lord left in the universe who can stop them!

Review:

This short story starts off with Neil Gaiman's signature ominous introduction - that's spare in words, but packs a lot of emotion.  The villains of the piece - the Kin - are conceptually complex and I love the idea that all of the them are one.  I think for such a short story this was a really engaging Doctor Who adventure that brought all of the characters to life.  I really loved how menacing the Kin are - especially when they go around in friendly masks!  And how such an innocuous question can become so frightening.

The ideas behind how the Kin operates are a little confusing at first - you really need to think about it I think, but they are kind of a genius alien being, and I really hope they make it onto the show someday!  I loved how Neil Gaiman captured the Doctor and Amy's voices as well, and how he made the life of a little girl very important.

This is actually the first e-short I've read from the 50th Anniversary series, and if they are of this same quality, I know I will enjoy them all!


Amazon

Goodreads

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

4 comments:

  1. I read this one on anniversary day, I agree that it was great quality - although I wouldn't expect anything less from Neil Gaiman ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that was a great idea to read it on the actual anniversary! I haven't read any of the others - have you? Did you have any favorites? I hope to get to read the rest soon!

      Delete
  2. Ohh where did you find this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's available as an ebook only I believe - I got mine for Kindle. It's so good!

      Delete