I now blog over at The Eyre Guide! This blog is an archive of my past posts.


Wednesday, February 26, 2014

2014 Jane Austen Challenge

Posted by Charlene // Tags: ,
Reading Is Fun Again is hosting a Jane Austen challenge this year which I hope will finally motivate me to finish reading all of Jane Austen's oeuvre!  I want to appreciate her work more - as a teen I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice but I didn't love it, and I wonder if now that I'm older I will see more in her commentary on life that I didn't see when I was younger.  For my Classics Club challenge, I wanted to read all four of the Austen books I haven't gotten to yet and that didn't spur me on, so I'm thinking this challenge will put more pressure on me!

For the Jane Austen Challenge the plan is to read one Austen book every two months (which is very manageable!):

Jan-Feb - Sense & Sensibility
March-April - Pride & Prejudice
May-June - Mansfield Park
July-Aug - Emma
Sept-Oct - Northanger Abbey
Nov-Dec - Persuasion

Since I've already read "Pride and Prejudice" and "Northanger Abbey" I'll sit those months out, so the plan is to read Sense and Sensibility and hopefully compare it to the movie starring Emma Thompson which I really love.  Even though I consider myself more of a Bronte girl than an Austen one, I look forward to reading Austen's works and maybe gaining a greater appreciation of her writing than I had before.  And I also can't wait to cross off these books from my Classics Club list!

Since I am posting this so late in February, my review of Sense and Sensibility should be up this Friday!

Share this post: Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr
Scroll Up

12 comments:

  1. I'd like to finish all her novels too. I didn't know about this AND I follow her blog! LOL!

    Going to look into it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Well I hope you join in! If you're participating maybe we can keep each other on track! :D

      Delete
  2. You need to check out the BBC mini-series of Sense and Sensibility that was done a few years ago! I liked it a lot more than the Emma Thompson movie, though I had also seen it before that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't even think about looking for the mini-series! That's a great idea because it should be a better adaptation. And looking up the cast - it has some actors I really like!

      Delete
  3. What an awesome challenge! Persuasion is my favorite novel EVER, and I'd love to give it a reread soon since it's been so long since I last read it. Good luck with the challenge! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling I will really love Persuasion! I almost want to skip ahead and read it already, but it's probably better if I stick to the schedule! :) Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. There are many classics that I never had to read that I would like to get too. I've never been too interested in Jane Austen, but I have read Persuasion. It's not bad!! Hope you enjoy/finish the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I look forward to Persuasion then - two votes for it! :) I don't know if this will make me a huge Austen fan, but I find her books enjoyable and it will be nice to finally say that I've read them!

      Delete
  5. Cool! My mom is such an Austen fan that I have read all the books..my favorites are Persuasion, Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey :) I am not a huge fan of Mansfield Park..I hate Fanny, she is so preachy at times I find it irritating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your Mom is a bigger Bronte fan though! LOL Darn Mansfield Park is the next read for me, hopefully I'll get through it quickly!

      Delete
  6. I'll actually have read all of these books except Persuasion before the read-a-longs, so hopefully I can jump in for that one and finish off the list! This looks like a great event. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh awesome! I hope you can join in for Persuasion! I'll probably like it the most so I'll be up for lots of discussion! :)

      Delete